Replicas of this iconic machine were commissioned by Donington Park’s Kevin Wheatcroft and are now being offered for sale to a select number of enthusiasts around the world.
Wheatcroft & Son Operations Manager Neil Leavesley explains: “We have produced a small number of replica W125 Grand Prix cars and we wanted a DVD as a sales tool to promote them. This was an avenue we wanted to pursue as seeing the W125 in action around the track at Donington Park gives people an initial feeling for the car and is an excellent representation of its speed and how it sounds. Also, potential customers for these replicas live across the globe and the DVD allows them to study the car without having to travel.
“We were very impressed with Quiet Storm’s filming and editing. They included historic footage of the original car at the 1937 grand prix held at Donington Park and the resulting DVD is superb. We have had great feedback and a great deal of interest has been generated. Bernie Ecclestone has already bought one of the replicas and we anticipate that the others will become highly sought after.”
On the day of filming Kevin Wheatcroft drove one of the W125 replicas around the Donington track, giving the Quiet Storm film crew the opportunity to capture action footage. This was combined with close up images and movie clips of the original vehicle in its heyday to create a ‘now and then’ profile. The music clips Quiet Storm selected for the soundtrack highlight the power and excitement of the racing footage and evoke feelings of both nostalgia and prestige during the static and detailed shots.
Neil Leavesley added: “Our W125’s are incredibly special and the market for them is quite specific so the quantity of DVD’s produced for us by Quiet Storm is small. Our initial order was only 25 copies.”
The reconstruction of this legendary racing machine was an ambitious project that Kevin Wheatcroft started with his late father Tom Wheatcroft, founder of the famous Donington Grand Prix Collection. It involved scouring the world for parts and meticulously studying engineering notes and drawings as well as an untouched 1937 vehicle. In addition to purchasing the first of the replicas, Bernie Ecclestone assisted the project by generously allowing access to his restored original Mercedes W125 which is the only one in private hands.
During its Grand Prix days the W125 racing car was nicknamed the Silver Arrow. With its supercharged 8 cylinder engine and an output of up to 595 horse power it was able to reach speeds over 190 mph. It was only when turbo-charged engines made an appearance in Formula One in the early 1980’s that the W125’s powerful engine was eclipsed.Back